Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The final stretch in Japan...

I'm just gonna start puttin a ton of links in the posting, as a picture is worth... You know the rest!

The time off in Tokyo.
Lots of running around- trains and such, all in 90 degree heat. I can do both rail systems now- easy peezy. The humidity that was the real kicker, with my shirts often getting soaked with sweat- and I'm not even the sweatin' type.
I met with new and old friends alike. I didn't ever make it to the bootleg dvd place, Shinjuku records, where they have my autographs and pictures of me adorning the walls, along with James Hetfield, Eric Martin, Billy Sheehan and the like. I did however make it to Aires- the other bootleg shop in the Shinjuku neighborhood, where I had the pleasure of meeting Junko. Junko has worked in the biz for about 20 years, and we chopped it up forever about bands, bootlegging specifics through time (like the lost romance of attaining low generation VHS tapes) and other things musical- she's very knowledgable, to say the least. I left there with a good 13 or so DVDs- on the house! I'm on at least half of them, as I bolster my Whitesnake footage for nostalgic and archival purposes.
I had a couple of nights at the Gravity Bar- where my friends Nobuyoshi (& sometimes his brother Ryuta) run the show. It's a small rock bar off the beaten path, upstairs 1 flight in an office type building- very non assuming. Inside the walls have display cases containing guitars of Steve Vai, Nuno Bettencourt & Ritchie Kotzen. There's a small electric drum kit and a bass rig for impromptu jams, which Glen and Toshi took to on our drunken night there- a night where we packed the place and decided to play until he trains started running again (5:30am!). We were quite hammered. As many of you know, my love is in bringing people together that I know will enjoy each others company and form good relationships. Mission accomplished... Yet again!
Another day I spent exploring alone- in Ginza. Too LA for me, with tons of US type stores- Tiffany's, H&M, Apple etc... The Mac store has free wifi so that was cool. Oh, and my Subway Shrimp-Avocado sandwich.
At night Yukiko (whom I hadn't seen in 4 years) took me to dinner in Roppongi- it was one of the best meals I've had. I then dragged her to my favorite variety store - Don Quixhote- as I HAD to see all the junk I don't need- once again. In fact, this was just the start, as I would hit up 2 more Don Quixhotes on this trip- late night and beer fueled.
Somewhere along the way, I took on a Japanese name: Yamanote. Yamanote is one of the most popular train lines in Tokyo. (for you SF peeps it'd be like calling me Mr. Concord, except that this train goes to way cooler places). So I'm lookin around in Don Quixhote and find YAMANOTE UNDERWEAR! SOCKS TOO! So the name sticks- I am now Yamanote-san.

Well, gotta get back to work. The total is 5 days on- 4 days off- now 3 more days. Glen Toshi and I are sounding tight, and I really dig playing for and helping these kids achieve their goals.




-- Sent from my Palm Pre





No comments:

Post a Comment